HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need help cooking and eating Grass Carp
Old 09-09-2008, 10:49 AM
carptracker
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need help cooking and eating Grass Carp

ORIGINAL: David Hughes
Is the fascia the white lines that appear between the layers of meat?
Yup. That stuff can get nasty on real big fish. And the meat itself becomes more coarse, too. When I grilled some really large black carp, I could not get anyone but me to eat it at all, more than a few bites. I ended up taking the rest of the grilled fish and making a fish salad from it. Even then, I could tell the fascia was there, but it was not too bad. My guess is that fish will never be top-notch, but it probably beats Micky D's. Depends what you want to do with it, I guess. For an invasive species, better out of the water than in, in any case. If you don't like it, the compost heap seems like the way to go.

I've had some other really large fish that we just never ate, in the end. I killed a real wallhanger-size trophy red drum (48 pounds) once for food and have regretted it ever since, because I never could find a way to make it good to eat.

This comes from a guyhaving common carp caviarfor lunch as I type; I am more open to unusual dishes than most.