HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pa Game Comm. Overhaul
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 02:27 PM
bluebird2
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

1. We the hunters who pay the majority of the commission's wages should have the ability to choose who is in position of authority. The Executive Director should have limitations set allowing that person to only be able to hold their post for a limited term.
Reason- As the the needs of hunters and wildlife change so too should the perspective of those people who ultimately make the decisions. In my experience when the security of one's position is dependent on the support of the people they tend to be more pro-active in dealing with problems.
While I agree there should be more accountability and that the commissioners should not be political appointees , I think there is another issue that has to change before we will see better hunting. Until the PGC recognizes the value of fringe habitat and other non-forest habitat, they will always strive to manage the herd at much lower deer densities , than the true MSY carrying capacity of the habitat. That is why 5 C had a goal of 6 DPSM and 5B goal was 5 DPSM ,while at the same time 2G had a goal of 15 DPSM. Just imagine what our buck harvest would have been last year if 2B, 5B and 5C had been reduced to their goals along with numerous other WMU's that were still at double their previous goals.