HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dog broke her leg anyone gone through this?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:02 AM
SDarcher
Fork Horn

Default Dog broke her leg anyone gone through this?

It's been a long three weeks. My female Choc Lab broke her femur low on the leg about three weeks ago. It was a stupid mistake on my part too. We were just going a few miles down the road and my buddy and I both put our dogs in the back of the pickup where they've ridden a million times. Well we didn't get 1/2 mile down the road and my buddy sees my dog go flying out the back over the side. I don't know if she saw a pheasant or something in the ditch, but she went for it. I about puked when I looked back and saw her trying to get up with no success.
So we rushed her into the vet and the break was fairly low on the femur bone with one or two chips floating in there. So we put a rod through the bone and wired those chips to the bone as well. Wel about a week and a half later when I went out to feed her the rod was sticking back out through the top of her hip, it had started to work its way out. So, back to the vet to redo the surgery. This time it held a lot firmer. It's been about a week and a half again, and the pin had just started to work its way out again, but hardly any. So I loaded her up and brought her back over for the vet to check out.
Well he just called me back and says that the pin is still doing some good, and he advanced it back down to where it needed to be and I need to keep her in strict confinement for a good 2 to 3 weeks. And if things don't get better in those 2-3 weeks, we're looking at possibly putting a plate on it(which could be difficult to catch considering how low the break is on the bone) or amputation.

If I don't come outta this with an ulcer I'll be lucky.

Anyone else had to go through all this headache??