HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pa Game Comm. Overhaul
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 07:01 AM
4evrhtn
Typical Buck

Default Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

I believe the vast majority of those who hunt in Pa would agree our Game Commission is falling short in their obligations to the hunters and wildlife. The "drastic" decline in license sales is evident of this. I wanted to know how everyone who cares enough to post a comment feels about our overall current situation. I am hoping to get viewpoints on all the aspects of the Pa Game management program, the good and the bad - What opinions hunters have that would improve the structure of our commission, the habitat, quality of deer herds, pheasant and other upland gamepopulations, license sales, youth opportunities, and anything else you find of relevance. I want to hear proposed solutions not just complaints. If you have a complaint state it and include your suggestion to rectify the problem.
Now...
I want to start with the commission's structure...

1. We the hunters who pay the majority of the commission's wages should have the ability to choose who is in position of authority. The Executive Director should have limitations set allowing that person to only be able to hold their post for a limited term.
Reason- As the the needs of hunters and wildlife change so too should the perspective of those people who ultimately make the decisions. In my experience when the security ofone's position isdependent onthe support of the people they tend to be more pro-active in dealing with problems.

2. Harvest Reports: The Game Commission estimates only 60% of hunters report their harvest. This mail-in report card system allows too much room for error.

My Suggestion-There should be a survey that must be filled out at the time of license purchase similar to the migratory survey. This then can be cross referenced with the previous year's harvest reports.Mandatory check-in stations should beimplemented. Game commission claims they don't have the man power. Sporting goods stores already do all the license sales for them, why can't a selected number of businesses willing to do the work act as check in stations. This would benefit the small business economy by those reporting their harvest purchasing other items that are otherwise bought at large chains like Cabelas, Bass Pro and Walmart. Even the sale of something as simple as food, snacks and drinks, if nothing else willincrease sales revenues for our small local businesses.

3. Habitat: I can only speak for what I see in my area and this is it.... The game commission is not doing enough scheduled clear cutting or controlled burning. In those areas that are harvested there is not enough being done to increase the quality of the food sources during the regrowth period. They refuse to timber unless maximum lumber profit can be attained. This is not timbering for wildlife, this istimbering solelyfor profit. Once those selected cuttings are done there is no attempt to plant trees more palatable to the wildlife. Even if they did, in most areas there are still too many tall timbers left limiting the amount of light neededfor more beneficial undergrowth to flourish.
(Once again, I speak for my area Dauphin/Schuylkill county)

I'm sure this next suggestion will not be agreed upon by some but that is why I posted this thread, to get the best possible solutions.

In areas where the soil is not nutrient sufficient enough to plant food plots. Those owning private or leased land should be able to supplement the inadequate habitat with harvested foods (Bait for lack of a better word) I know the argument is this... Itunnaturally influences the travel of wildlife and is more harmful than good because it increases maximum carrying capacity by unnatural means and it only makes for a "more efficient" harvest. As long as this supplementation is continued throughout the year on these "private and Leased lands" the increased carrying capacity can be sustained. In some areas of the state it is this alternative or not having any deer at all. It works in many other states but once again PA seems to be behind in the times.

3. Trust- How long does it take to finally make the transition from the back tag to the wallet license? They have been "attempting" to make this change for how many years now? The state claims they are having difficulties with the vendor. Find A New Supplier! It's hard to trust in an organization that appears to not trust us hunters enough to provide us with a concealed license.

Here are just a few topics, I have many more but let's start here.