HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What did you learn this season?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2003, 04:03 PM
sour01

Default What did you learn this season?

I feel sure everyone learned something...or at least had an old lesson reinforced. Name a couple of lessons you would pass on.

For me:

1. Just because a bird doesn' t gobble on the roost does not mean they aren' t there. Twice I bumped birds off the roost by moving---thinking that there were none around or already on the ground. They were there---just not talking yet. I found fly down times vary a great deal depending on a lot of factors.

2. I used to get super concealed in brush or cover---even to the point of sacrificing good shooting lanes. I trusted my camo much more this year and it worked. No movement was the key.

3. To switch tactics. The birds weren' t always excited about coming to my calls this year---so I tried something else. Figure out where they are going and be there when they arrive.

4. It is often very hard to predict where they are going.

5. That birds move around a bit. Even though a gobbler was not in a promising area today is no sign he won' t be there tomorrow.

6. Persistence eventually pays off.

Not many surprises there---but what about you all. Any special trick work or any good lessons learned? Pass it on.