HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2008, 11:00 PM
shed33
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2008 Elk Hunting Contest Teams!!!!!!

checking in after hunting today.. on the ground again for whitetails and elk.. slow day.. until the last 20 minutes of light this evening.. I was just about ready to call it a night when 1/2 a dozen cows come barreling into my set up and then a spike. They were standing exactly where the spike did last night. I was pretty much pinned down at 20 yards since I had set up in a slightly different spot. I watched them hoping to see a bigger bull. As light faded I was about to give up the notion that a bigger bull had moved in when I look straight up the mountain and there he is at 60-70 yards.. real nice 5x5 or 5x6 bull, havent seen this one before.. new to the herd.. He's staring right at the cows that are 20 yards from me, he gives out a couple real brief chuckles and walks towards them they start walking up the trail towards him too. Away from me.. He gets closer to them and he bugles and they walk away up the trail.. I slipped out after they moved around the corner in the dark. I think its time to start calling and working these elk a bit..they are finally starting to act rutty...might get a receptive bull to come in.