HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Michigan Baiting
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Germ
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Michigan Baiting

ORIGINAL: MichiganArcher

ORIGINAL: Germ

Well being we cannot afford gas anymore the deer are safe[&:] I guess we should look behind 2008, a herd with CWD in the wild does no one any good.

I have more faith in hunters of NLP, I bet some find as I have it's easier. You are correct in SLP we have more deer, and differnet terrain which makes it different.

I think we are going to fine, I look forward to hunting NLP this year
Amen on gas. It's sad when $3.65 is a deal. You have me intrigued when you say it's easier. When you're hunting the timber in northern MI with no bait what are your tactics? I may give it a try after all based on what you're saying. I agree CWD needs to go but 1 deer in a confined area and no others are infected. Something stinks in suburbia .

Here's what I do

I find beechnut or acorns that are dropping. I hunt a trail near there, as the deer move to the next area where mast crops are droping I move with them.
I also look for places with water and the access is hidden.

When I talk "easier" I am talking about shooting of the deer. I can remember my first deer tha came into my setup when I was 12. She looked at me entire time in the tree. Eat an apple, look in the tree, eat apple look in the tree. I ask my Dad and gramps, what is up with that? I never used it again in NLP.

I think a better way to state it, and I think you will agree.

With Bait easier to "find deer" harder to shoot
Without bait harder to find deer, easier to shoot because they are not on alert.

Here is the buck I will be hunting in NLP this fall. I walked a lot to find it This is a NLP buck

Now if my dipper as I call them are still there[&:] I have setup what some call scent traps/scrape traps. I have mock scrape/old scrapes I think he uses and have been keeping them fresh with sent since May. Will see if it works