HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - To pee or not to pee? That is the question.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:28 AM
fastetti
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To pee or not to pee? That is the question.

Here's my take on the subject. Human sweat is completely different smell from human urine. The chemical compunds of urine in most mammals is the same. I believe that there is only a fractionally small difference in the makeup of urine between humans and deer. Deer, IMO and what I have read and what has been studied, is that deer cannot smell the difference, the main reason they smell it is because of such a small difference in the chemical makeup, they are trying to figure out what made the urine and whether it was a male or female. I feel it does baffle them a little and makes them quite curious and astounds them, but I wouldn't say they come running in from miles away but also think that it in no ways deters them. The scent you give out from sweat and body odor is a whole different story. The chemical makeup of human odor is very different from deer and they can tell the difference with that immediately. I believe if you "Let it fly" out in the woods, as long as you are not rubbing your hands on a tree when you pee you should be fine. When we contaminate our clothes and such, its with human scent or extremely foreign scents. Deer know this scent because they associate it with us, they see us and have smelled us at the same time. Very rarely doesa deer see me while I'm peeing to associate the smell to humans, besides, with the chemical makeup it will be hard for them already to tell.

This is my opinion, Im not trying to tell anybody what to do, this is just the reasoning I have about not worrying about peeing in the woods. The only problem I have with peeing in a stand is the noise the pee makes when it hits the ground.