HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Zeiss
Thread: Zeiss
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2003, 09:03 PM
oldelkhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Zeiss

Woodseye and GTBuzz, Better Hunters than I and great gunsmiths have depended on Leupold and its quality for many years. It is by no accident that it is recommended by some of the best gunmakers and used by some of the best hunters in this country. Their reputation is Justly deserved. Just because a company comes out with slightly better optics does not mean it is a better scope. The faults I find with the Zeiss (3x9x40) a.) tube is a tad long and b) it is 4 0z heavier than a comparable Leupold.. There is almost 5 1/2" of eye relief with the 1.75x6. Please tell me where I can get a Zeiss that matches that and weighs 10 1/2 ounces. Zeiss has been making fine optics for many years catering to the Euopean market(night hunting) and you will seldom see a rifle more powerful than those in say the 6.5x55/ 270/06/7 rem mag class in use whereas statewide we are magnum crazy. They have not sold enough Conquests and mounted them on enough heavy magnums for the real reliability to show. I have heard about Conquests and read about them and followed articles on every hunting related website and I broke down and bought one, except with the faults i described above it is an excellent scope but very unproven. It will go on my day whitetail hunts and never out of distance of a UPS shipping outlet and that is the extent of it.. for the rugged hunts the Leupold goes along...they have never let me down.