HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Zeiss
Thread: Zeiss
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2003, 01:54 PM
oldelkhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Zeiss

GTbuzz...sorry to hear that you had a problem with a VarixIII on your gun and it lasted only 20 rounds before going south. Was it mounted correctly, did you turn the scope in the rings to mount the dovetail sights I don' t know , I don' t think it is the luck of the draw...Tasco and simmons would fit that category, but I find it pretty hard to believe that one would fail just basing it on the history I have had with all types of Leupold scopes. If you speak to any custom gun builder of any repute ask them what brand of scope they put on a heavy recoiling rifle. I wouldn' t even dream of putting a Zeiss of any kind of a 338... I have a Zeiss conquest 3x9x40 which is optically a bit brighter than a varixIII and I would not dare put it on that 338 because it is not proven and my Leupolds are. I also owned a Zeiss Diavari 3x9x36 I am not going to book an expensive Elk Hunt somewhere and have unproven equipment on my rifle. Now ask me the same question a couple of years from now after the Conquest has been banged around a bit and we' ll see if I have a different answer.