HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Minnesota hunters
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM
RackLuster
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Minnesota hunters

ORIGINAL: thehart_cwc

I'm new to Mn and am looking for land to hunt deer on this season, does anyone have any good resources for public land in Mn (within a couple of hours from the metro?) The more I ask about this, the more I seem to find out that finding good public land to hunt in MN is not that easy. Thanks,

Matt
actually, i think it's very easy to find public land to hunt in minnesota. especially if you bow hunt! The sherburne county wildlife refuge is great. there are lots of mature bucks running around in there. you just have to find them. last year there were 4 nice bucks shot within 1/4 mile of where my stand is! One walked right under my stand about 15 minutes before legal shooting. I watched another hunter shoot it. That was slug hunting though. if you bow hunt, especially during the week, the place is pretty much yours. I love hunting public land on Thursdays because the woods have settled down from the weekend activity and there are very few people hunting. sand dunes state forest borders the refuge. so, combined there's a lot of acreage!

There's also mille lacs wma. that thing is huge!