HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - cwd concern
Thread: cwd concern
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 07:18 PM
txhunter58
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cwd concern

That is the $64,000 question!

No one has proven there is a problem with eating the meat from a CWD infected animal, but people worry that you could get a disease like they think people got from eating mad cow disease infected animals. Actually no one has ever proved that one yet either.

I am a veterinarian, and I still don't know what to tell you! But here is what I think: IF there is a problem with eating the meat (and that is a BIG IF), I suspect that only a very small percentage of people would ever have a problem even if they ate the meat. There were literally 10's of thousands of people who ate Mad Cow infected meat and only a handful of cases that scientists think possibly were caused by eating the infected meat. So my theory is that if YOU were to eat some CWD meat AND it turns out that we can get it from eating the meat, you would have maybe a 1 in a million chance of getting the problem. However, that is just my theory. No one has any hard facts yet.

The Colorado DOW has some good info on the disease on their website, so you should check there. A shortened version is this: don't keep anything with brain, spinal tissue, or lymph nodes. And they recommend having the head tested and not eating the meat if it is positive. Last I heard, they will even refund your tag price if you have to discard the meat.

Hope I didn't muddy the water too much!