View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 05:32 AM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hornady SST's

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: Moebedda

ORIGINAL: beast44k

I don't know or care about the ballistics of the SST's, I hunted with them last season and they did squat on putting down deer.
I don't care for them either. I shot 2 deer with them last year and was not impressed at all. I did recover both animals as they were both boiler room shots, but what I didn't care for is the lack of blood and what looked like zero expansion. The exit hole on both animals was the same size as the entrance hole. Both deer ran about 40-50 yards. I was shooting the shotgun version, but it's the same bullet at a slightly higher FPS. The shots were 165 yards and 45 yards, if it makes a difference. I do like the accuracy however.

Ishoot a Nosler Partition 260 grain HG bullet out of my OptimaProover 100 grains of 777 loose and that bullet is insane.I shot a deer with it too. The exit wound was the size of a half dollar and it looked like a crime scene where I shot it. That deer only ran 30 yards on the same boiler room shot. That deer was 30 yards away when I pulled the trigger.

I'm selling my shotgun. I'll use my muzzleloader if I hunt in a shotgun zone this year.
Yep, precisely what Bryce Towsley says, Bryce is the MLer Editor for American Hunter Magazine and has hunted MLer for over 35 years. Chap