HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ground Blind?????
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Austin/WI

Default RE: Ground Blind?????

I hunt from the ground alot, during both bow and gun seasons, and have actually taken all but one of my deer from the ground. When I hunt from the ground I like to use as much natural cover as possible. Like Kevin said, fallen trees are great places to start. Try to create a little nest, pull in some limbs from the surrounding area and add enough to cover any movement that may be seen through the fallen tree. Also, create one entrance just big enough for you to get in quietly with all you gear and clear the ground inside the newly made blind of any twigs or sticks that may snap, crackle or pop while you're in there. Lastly, setup a chair or stool or bucket, whatever you'll plant your butt on while you're hunting and make sure that you can quietly draw, letdown and move side to side. If everything is good from inside the blind, it's just a matter of cutting a few shooting lanes where you expect the deer to pass through and practicing shooting from a seated position. All of this should be done as early in the summer as possible, ideally. But I've done this type of thing in the morning so I could hunt it in the afternoon with good success.

Another option is making your own blind. There are a lot of stores that sell camo fabric or burlap. If you can pick up a couple yards of this stuff, you can make yourself a decent little blind with minimal work. Depending on what you have laying around, I've found old aluminum arrows can be great stakes for a blind. If you don't have any that are decently long you can duct tape a couple together. Now, have your mother (or girlfriend or whoever) sew some sleeves into the fabric or burlap, you can slide the old arrows into the sleeves and presto - a highly portable blind that you can just stick into the ground. Place a little brush around and in front of the blind to break up the outline and you're ready to go.