HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Never been so scared in my life!
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Hoyt_Viper
Typical Buck

Default Never been so scared in my life!

We finally got some rain today so I figured I would go out and throw some seed in my plot. I threw the seed and filled my backpack with deer corn and an extra bag as well. I had about 50#'s altogether and was walking my trail to my stand about .5 miles back in the woods.

Its pouring down rain and Im about 10 yards from my stand and was checking out a huge rub on a cedar when I heard bushes moving about 25 ft straight ahead of me. The image appeared dark, and then got bigger and BLACK. By the time I stood up (I was in my camo) I realized it was a black bear about 25 ft ahead of me. It stood up and stared at me for about 30 seconds. Before I gave him the next move I raised my hands and growled like never before. It took off and 2 cubs followed.

Im in VA and I have only read about bear sightings, but this one was up front and REAL. I had a pocket knife and thats it. Ive heard of sows protecting the cubs, but standing straight up she was about 5 ft tall and no match for me...i guess. I turned and walked out of the woods and sat down shaking.

Anyone ever come close to a sow and cubs like that?

BTW...he was in the area of one of my cameras, so Im hoping I have a picture of him. Im not going back without my sidearm though!