HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bedding Problems?
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 07:16 PM
oldelkhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bedding Problems?

Like DD said it might be the scope but 24" up and down is a lot of variation. Pop the magazine open and feel inside for the magazine box if it is loose and will go back and forth minutely then that eliminates one problem. Make sure the barrel has enough clearance. Can you slide a piece of typing paper back to the barreltaper? If not that is a problem. If you hold the rifle with your right hand(if your right handed) and holdyour leftthumb and forefinger snugly around the foreend tip and the barrel. If you can feel movement when loosening and then tightening the rear guard screwor doing the same with the front action screw it might be the action bedding.
Is the bottom metal fitting correctly in the inletting. Pop the floorplate and see if it is bearing evenly in its place. If you had some Jerrows inletting ink you could easily tell.

I had a older Sako that a gun butcher glass bedded and ruined the stock because he glassed the lug into the action inlet...I guess I could have cut the lug out with a chisel very carefully but what was a 1- 1/2 308 with match ammo became a shotgun because of the bedding job. Hope that helps but if the guy botched the job which really no one knows yet if he did or didn't wait for him to come back from Vacation and have him look it over. I had the same gun except in 7 WSM shot really well with the factory stock but I soon replaced it with a featherweight WSM stock and winchester bottom metal and magazine and it really shot well even not glass bedded.

Good luck with it , its one or the other scope or bedding..scope has a fine warranty and the bedding can be fixed pretty easily.