HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recovery, What To Do After the Shot.
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 07:04 AM
Sooner State Hunter
Typical Buck

Default RE: Recovery, What To Do After the Shot.

Thanks Rob, awesome thread! I'm certain that if I'd had this info years ago I wouldn't have went thru the agony of lost deer.

Couple of things to add to the discussion:

1. Most know to do this but I'll say it anyway: ifpossible climb back into your stand and guide a buddy to where you last saw the deer. Even if you made a mental note of where he went, the woods look much different from the ground vs. 20' up in a tree. I've got a good friend who is adamant about doing this and it has paid off in the cases whereyou can't immediately pick up a good blood trail.

2. Rob mentioned that with certain hits one should start tracking sooner than normal. One instance I've read where this is true is with hip shots. I'd say the reasoning behind that is to keep the deer moving and bleed out. I helped on one such tracking job but we waited 4 hours before we began looking. The trail was good until the point where the arrowcame out, hardly a speckle of blood after that. Of course if you happen to hit the main artery around the hip area, you'll have a short job.

I'd suggest printing Rob's tips off and keep them handy. I keep a copy in my truck just in case.Good luck fellas.