HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Instinctive compound shooting with a release
Old 05-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Instinctive compound shooting with a release

Tech 29, you sort of imply that if you don' t use sights, you have questionable ethics. I' ll pick that bone with you.

My last 3D score with a compound was 284. That' s 30 targets, some set out as far as 45 yards, scored 10-8-5. I dropped 8 arrows into the 8 ring. I shot that score with fingers and no sights, took second place in the compound division. Against the sights shooters.

I have a self-imposed limit of 30 yards when I' m hunting with my compound. Within that distance, I don' t miss. Plain fact. I don' t see any great possibility that I' m going to wound an animal just because I don' t have sights on my bow. As bad as my close up vision is now, I' d have a higher probability of wounding WITH sights because I can' t see them. So my ETHICAL choice was to take them off all my bows.

Sights are optional, not required. It just takes some practice to learn how to shoot without them. And I' ve had a lot of practice.