HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mock scrapes
Thread: Mock scrapes
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Arrowmaster
Super Moderator

Default RE: Mock scrapes

ORIGINAL: Mojotex

I have had decent success with mock scrapes ... and better with a "drag rag". I do the mock scrape only when the bucks themselves start making their scrapes. I use the drag rag as both a trail cover and as an attractant. I collect deer urine from the bladders of the deer I kill. I make no effort to segregate doe from buck. I use this urine to wet the drag rag and to pour into the mock scrape. I collect oily tarsal glands from bucks I and others kill. I keep these frozen until use. I use these to "rub" limbs overhanging the mock scrape. I wear rubber gloves to keep my scent off the limb as best I can and to keep the stench of the oil off my hands as much a practical.

To make the scrape, look first for a spot that has an over hanging limb and that is along an edge or a trail that I will be hunting. I scrape away the leaves and dig into the dirt with a stick. I pour maybe 2 oz. of urine into the dirt and rub the overhang with the tarsal. You can reuse the tasrsals several times if you are take the time to refreeze it or at least keep it on ice when not in use. I have hung both the drag rag and tarsal gland on a limb near my stand and in a location that will give a decent down wind scent line. If I am facing the wind directly, I put these out in front of me 50 - 75 yards and where they are visible from my location. If the wind is more or less 90 deg. to where I am set -up, I place these to the windward side 50-76 yards away and 50 - 75 yards or so out in front of me. Again where I can see them.

Does this work 100% of the time? Heck no. But every now and then a decent buck will come to investigate the mock scrape and/or follow the drag rag scent line. Over 35 years or so of doing this, I have taken probably 10-15 decent bucks and 2 very nice ones using this tactic.

I agree 100%. The only difference is when Im bow hunting I will have one 20 yards away...