HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Controlled pheasant hunt @ Des Plaines in Il...
Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 AM
fastetti
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Controlled pheasant hunt @ Des Plaines in Il...

Yes, there usually are. I have never gone standbye before though. You can go online to the IDNR site and purchase the passes all the way up until the morning of the hunt. The website is up to the minute so I have bought the passes the night before I have gone. I think the computer literate have an advantage because we can check the availability uo to the minute.

Also, Don't forget about Kankakee SP. I did a little research this year and saw that Des Plaines alows around 240 people per day if I remember correctly. Kankakee allows a max of 49 with 10 different spots to hunt. No the same amout of land, but they have 10 different fields to hunt so your not jamme din there like Des Plaines. Ive never had a problem getting onto Kankakee and the hunting seems to be pretty good. I have seen slightly less birds at Kankakee but far less hunters so it makes it a little more enjoyable. I like Fridays because they've released birds for 2 days already so I hope some of those unharvested birds are hanging around still. Also, check in doesn't start until 8 so you have a little more time to sleep in and there really is no big "sweatline" from my experience. They also allow you to take rabbits there to, don't know if your a fan of rabbit hunting. Oh ya, little secret, after the first couple hours, hit the woods. Those birds that make it out of the fields head for the woods. I'd say I got half my birds out of the woods last year. Good Luck