HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are bigger cartridges really better?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 PM
DM

Default RE: Are bigger cartridges really better?

ORIGINAL: MakeUr1stShotCount

Peter Capstick spent a lot of time in Africa and his book on guiding spends an entire chapter on this. He acknowledges both sides, but makes some really interesting points: (a) You better be able to handle the big cartridge you're shooting or it'll do you little good, and (b) if you really can pinpoint your shot, the smaller calibers will in fact do the job.

For me, I reckon I'd want something that I know for a fact I can put in the kill spot....and something too that if faced with a charge, will finish the job. Like Capstick said, "It's one thing to hit the kill zone from a resting position at a safe distance; make sure you can repeat that feat at a distance measured in feet if it occurs."
Everything you've posted above might be spot on, BUT Capstick had/has a reputation of being a big bullchitter, and a huge exaggerator, so be very carefull about quoteing anything he's said...

As for would i buy a 338 to go elk hunting... Heck NO, in fact i have a 338-06 that i've flattened a brown bear or two with, and i wouldn't even take that. I also have a 340 wby. (on a Rem. 700 action) and i wouldn't take that either!

I don't HAVE to get something every time i go hunting, and i won't shoot at a big game animial from this county, into the next county. So, if the 30-06 isn't good enough to make the shot i'm offered, i have no problem watching the elk walk away, and i'll honestly enjoy just being able to see it out there...

DM