HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - blown scope, lead sled to blame?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 07:06 PM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Wow have not visited this thread since I posted at the beginning. Let me add my experience from shooting the Lead sled to the thread, since I have had no scope issues and I have shot it 3 ways:
with nothing on it for weight
two 5 lb bags (actuallymy shooting bags)
and then 1 approximately 20 lb bag of sand.

Using my shoulder as my gauge:
If I shoot 20 shots of 4198 at 67g (about 2400 fps) with a 300 grain bullet, my shoulder is sore big time with no weight on the sled. With 10 lbs weight on the sled, I can shoot the 20 shots, and I am fine, but I can feel it in my shoulder. If I put20lbs on the sled my shoulder is not sore at all after 20 shot and I hardly notice the recoil. What do I think is best? I believe shooting 10 lbs and dropping back to 15 shots is best for me, which is what I intend on doing this Sat AM at 200 yards with my Savage MLer. I have not heard of seen of folks piling 100lb of lead on the sled, I beleve I read in the instructions they recommend 25 lb, but I may have read that some where and not the manual---25 sticks in my brain from somewhere.

So Saxman, I don't think the lead sled will hurt a thing with 0, 10 or 20 lbs on it. That is my experience so far.If I bust up my scope I will be the first to report it on here. I intend to keep using mine. Best Wishes is your shooting sports,
Chap