HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - blown scope, lead sled to blame?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 01:49 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Rifle Loony

Wellll,? I really was not going to get into this but RL a couple of the things you have suggested I would have to disagree with as well as there a couple of things that i do agree with.

The use of a bench and shooting aids are pretty common practice and in most cases they are not detrimental to your ability to shoot accurately while hunting. I have been at it for 52 years now and I often use a bench and shooting aids, including sticks laying on the groundfor load developement, equipment checks, and accuracy. I also shoot a lot without the supports. I also disagree with point about POI shifting from a bench to shooting off hand or what ever position you choose to shoot. If you set up your bench rests correctly - you really should not see a dramatic shift in POI if any. A lot of that also comes in knowing your equipment.

The use of the lead sled or in my case a Caldwell "Rock" is a personal choice - no one says you have to use one or like one - that is totally up to you.

Knowing the quirks and habats of your gun is important - the more you shoot it, no matter, how you choose to shoot - it will increase your feel for the gun.

One point that I do agree with is the lead sled could be the problem in the failure of scopes and stocks - and even as a matter of fact, the loss of accuracy even with open mechanical sights if the sled is load to heavy.

One can so easily avoid the scope/stock wrecking ability of a lead sled by simply learning to shoot without one, that's so easily a Fact.
While you might think this is FACT you are really narrowing it to yourselfand your style of shootingand that is fine. I would still guarantee you that there are a lot of ways to learn to shoot and shoot well - your way is not the only way and for many it would not be the best way.

Now it would be my suggestion we move on... this one has been worn out and it is getting personal which is not the point.