HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shotgun Scope help
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Shotgun Scope help

Are you talking about mounting it to the receiver or getting a cantilever barrel? I wouldn't bother with putting one on the receiver with a removable smooth barrel. My honest opinion is you would be better off with some clamp on fiber optic sights. Be much cheaper as well.

Now if you are talking about a cantilever barrel with integral scope mount then just about any quality compact scope should work well. They do make some specifically designed for slug guns though. I would look at something in the 150-200 dollar range in a 2-7 or 3-9. A nice 4 power would work well too, but I prefer the lower powers on the variables.

I have owned a few red dots as well and I think decent fiber optic sights work just as well and you don't have to worry about them dying on you or failing. Not to mention they are lighter and less cumbersome.

I personally wouldn't put a simmons 8 point on a shotgun of someone I hated. They are cheap for a reason, just look through a few in different price ranges and you should be able to see a big difference.

Paul