HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Winchester semi - auto SXR
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winchester semi - auto SXR

I have helped a buddy sight one in. Just last weekend as a mater of fact. His is in 308 Win. Shot fine. Cycled great as far as I could tell. Looks good, feels good .... but it is my opinion that this rifle is destined to the Pergatory of"Discointinued".

Winchester had a fine, well made, accurateauto loader way back back when in the Model 100. It lives in the same place as its brother the Model 88 ... along side thelong ago discontinued marvelous Savage Model 99. The Model 100 was neverpopular down here ... because like the SXR it wasrather expensive for a mass produced auto loading center fire hunting rifle. Even now, the Rem. 7400 is less costly and the venerable Browning BAR is about the same price as the SXR. I am not knocking the rifle. But .... I don't think Winchester is commited to it to the degree that it will take to continue production if sales do not pick up.

I look at it in another light as well .... name how many folks you know personally that hunt with the SXR rifle vs. how many use the Browning BAR or Remington "Woodmaster"