HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Small Game Field Dressing question?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 PM
hamslam

Default Small Game Field Dressing question?

Just had a question for you folks and need some information or opinions. I know this may sound like a weird question but I ran across some information the other day in regards to field dressing small game. This would include small game birds such as grouse, pheasant and of course rabbit and squirrell. I picked up some videos as I like to keep them around for refference in regards to field dressing, butchering etc the various animals us hunters harvest. In the video, the guide says it is recommended NOT to field dress these animals unless they are in pretty bad shape. It said the skin and fur of these creatures act as a natural preservative and it is best to keep them whole to prevent bacteria, spoiling etc. Of course the guide is instructing on again slightly and perhaps this is why. Now I was always taught to field dress immediately after an animal is taken as the meat can be tainted by the inards. Now of course naturally if your going to butcher the animal right away you would be field dressing right away or soon after an animal is harvested, but as for aging a few days I suppose that is what I'm looking forward to. I've never aged anything except for deer but I feel it has a positive effect on the whitetails and was thinking of trying this method for small game. Just looking for some thoughts and opinions on this issue and I would like to give a pre-emptive thanks in advance.