HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Getting ready 4 elk season :)
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 09:12 PM
huntingdiva1

Default RE: Getting ready 4 elk season :)

ORIGINAL: jackflap

16A? Congrats, that is one of the best units bar none. I have not hunted it but I have hunted 16E four different years. Good quantity and quality. My hunt partner killed a 363" bull in 16E three years ago.

May or may not be bugling in the early season, but I would work the ridge tops pre dawn and listen and then try to get on a bull if you catch one sounding off. Once daylight comes, do lots of glassing and take your time.

In evenings, water holes are your best bet. Find some off the roads that area little harder to get to. But even with that, there can still be a lot of competition for them, so I would plan on getting there by no later than 3:00 as the unwritten law of the land is that latecomers should yield to the first one there. We often times get there at noon, eat lunch and take a nap.

Don't let someone come in after you and try to run you off just because they may have set a tree stand up or something. Doesn't work that way although there always seems to be someone that tries to bully everyone else away, especially if they are an outfitter. Stand your ground and try to get along as best as possible.

We will be going to Colorado this year in the Gunnison/Crested Butte area. I have hunted this area quite a bit as well. Good quantity but not likely to see a bull much over 300" and more likely tops will be 250-275".

Good luck.
AWESOME,, thank you so much 4 the gr8 advice...It is much appreciated..