HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Please explain to me this line of thinking
Old 08-09-2008, 04:10 PM
drdi

Default Please explain to me this line of thinking

This is not meant to be inflammatory, but rather something I really want to try and understand.

Every time there is a thread about whether or not hunters will or won't shoot yearling bucks, there are always a few people that answer that the reason they shoot small bucks is that if they don't shoot the buck, then someone on the next farm over will.

I don't get that. How do they KNOW that buck will get shot? I am surrounded by farms that have gangs of hunters come in with the "if it's brown, it's down" thinking. They shoot anything and everything, but every year, some of the yearling bucks make it through and grow bigger.

I can understand someone shooting a small buck because they want to. Heck, my first buck was a yearling basket rack and Iam still so proud of that deer. Last year I posted a trail cam pic of an eight point justfor fun to see how many would or wouldn't shoot thebuck. I had a couple ofpeople tell me that I should shoot it before someone else does.I just don't get the part of "I'd better shoot it or someone else will". I actuallyfound the sheds of the buck I was talkingabout after the season so I know he made itthrough. Please help me understand?