HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Backpack List....OK??
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Elkcrazy8
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Backpack List....OK??

Here is the list that I pack from. I set up the amount of food x the number of days that I will be out in the mountains. On a long hunt (18) days, I packed in the extra food ahead of time and burried it so I did not have to carry 18 days of food. Don't be afraid to use your soap to do some laundry while on the hunt. I can hunt a whole week on 45 lbs......

Items for bivy hunt:

CLOTHES

-Socks (1 pr each day) under armor
-Under armor t-shirts- 1 for each 2 days- anti microbial- no more than 3 total- if so - wash them while your hunting.
-Underwear- medalist antimicrobial with skinetics technology
-Cold gear – medalist silvermax 2 layer ¼ zip top, 2 pr medalist silvermax 2 layer pants. Rutwear or Rivers West misseason pants and jacket
- 1 pr Treklite convertible pants and treklite shirt
- under armor cap or sitka cap
-Gloves- non cotton
-Fleece vest
- Kenetrek mountain boots
-Gaitors

CAMP

-Eureka Zeus 1 man bivy tent (bad weather expected)
-Thermarest pad or foam pad- ¾ body
-Sleeping bag- light as you can get and stay warm- Marmot or Sherpa designs, 15 degree bag unless bad weather is expected
-XPG 10 foot tarp or Noah's wing- bivy sack recommended with this- replaces tent
-Vaseline fire starter (emergency)
-Parachute cord

FOOD

-Pocket rocket stove- MSR- snow peak will work also
-2 can fuel
-Method of lighting stove (waterproof matches and lighter)
-Mountain house meals (1 each day)(supper)
-Oatmeal (3 packets each day)(breakfast)
-Calculate the hunt pack needed from Wilderness Athlete for mid day nutrition.
-1 tuna or chicken package each day (lunch)
-Spoon
-Titanium cup for cooking- 8 oz min.
-Filtration bottle or like- iodine tablets can substitute filtration if desired

HYGIENE

-Washcloth
-Toothbrush
-Toothpaste- small travel tube ½ full
-No scent soap- ½ bar
-No scent deodorant
-Contacts and pocket mirror/ mirror can be used for signaling( I wear glasses)
-Motrin
-Toilet paper
-Antibiotic ointment
-Duct tape for body repair and blister treatment- can substitute stitches until you can get out.

HUNTING

-2 Alaskan game bags
-Knife and sharpener- I take 3 breakable blade utility knives- very light and sharp.
-Gps
-Camera
-Range finder
-2 cyclops headlamps- LED
-Alarm clock
-Calls/scents
-Bow/arrows/release
-Binoculars

All clothing items should be packed in freezer bags with the air squeezed out and sealed to create a vacuum. Cuts down on space and protects clothing. 2 gallon bags work great.
Sort and package your food items in individual ziplock bags for each day, this will not only make things neater, but will also be a good way to make sure that you get your proper nutrition each day while in the backcountry.

I started this list several years ago and threw out items that I did not need and added items that I did need

I spend 40 or so days a year in the backcountry and found that this is the stuff that works. This will cover me in the heat of the day, and the cool of the night and helps me survive whatever mother nature can dish out.

Just remember this COTTON KILLS !!!!!

for more info and tips, check out the link on my signature and go to the online magazine tab, there is some good info on preparing for a hunt like yours!