HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Handgun hunting caliber
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2003, 06:45 PM
Nomercy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Handgun hunting caliber

I really didn' t read all of what' s been said, but I' m gonna bite on a couple of these:

recoiljunky: I really wish I could remember what issue it was in, but about 5-6 years ago G&A ran an article on dB ratings of handguns, in " equal" muzzle velocity loads in equal barrel lengths, a .357 is louder than a .44mag, according to their study, and I generally tend to believe that they know what they are talking about, but you can take it up with Grits or Craig if you like. It was very interesting, they went on to claim that why guys like yourself believe that the .44mag is so much louder is much simply because they are thinking about it being more powerful, kind of like how a guy will shoot a 12ga 3" mag all day long for ducks and never complain, but put him on a bench with a .375H&H mag and he' ll take two shots and pack it up, claiming too much recoil (average weight shotgun with 12ga 3" mags gives around 3-8ft.lbs. more recoil energy than average weight/load .375H&H), it' s all in your head. My self, I' ll very much confirm that .357' s are capable of being as loud or moreso than .44mags, a buddy of mine brought out his hand-rolled .357' s and his 8" bbl S&W custom, and I had my 7.5" Ruger SBH (shorter barrel should be louder), he claimed that he was pushing his rounds an average of 25fps faster than the printed data for my own (which I had chronoed to be accurate for my SBH, for once!!!), I usually get by with only a good set of muffs when shooting, even when we' re having a " auto-day" , and I doubled down when he went barking fire with that S&W!!!!

Big bore, I did mention the .480ruger, but it was very early in the thread. I think why it hasn' t gotten more premise here is because it is simply overpowered for what a guy needs/expects out of a deer hunting handgun. It' s great that you can reach out and knock a deer in the dirt at 150yrds with it, I' d own one if I didn' t have a .45-70 custom done by Magnum research, however, for most hunters, handgun hunting signifies getting closer than one would have to with a rifle, so where' s the fun in taking a handgun as capable as your rifle??? Most people consider the .44mag' s recoil to be more than enough for a hunting pistol, many claim it is horendous, advise those people to get a .480....well, you can only imagine what they' d be calling you shortly. I won' t agree that the .480 would do " bad things" to deer, in the loads available (especially opportune in handloads), there are several bullets that give outstanding performance on deer, meat damage isn' t noticeably worse than even with a .44mag, let alone a .454cassul. Often times the peripheral meat damage caused by .357' s is worse than some of the .480 and .45-70 wounds I' ve seen, with similar placements.

I' m sure theres more I should chew on, but this is already pretty lengthy.