HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - BOW HUNTING QUESTIONS!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Bob H in NH
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BOW HUNTING QUESTIONS!!!

ORIGINAL: Hunting Kuk

Guy's I am 13 as you know already and I am getting a bow today(PSE)and I was wandering about some stuff so here's afew questions for a beginner.
1.Stand or blind?
2.How far will I be able to kill a deer with a 40 lb. draw weight.
3.Mechanical broad head or what?
4.What sounds better,my granmas land 5 acres of wood's 15 acres ofopen with a pond but it's by a highway,but I have been seeing a doe with her fawn around their,or LOTS!!!!of woods open fields!!!!!water good grass but it's my neighbors and I am not sure if he will let me hunt their,and last but not least,25 acres of wood's with other timber in spot's water field and thats where i also rifle hunt,but the guy rented it off and I am not sure if the guy renting it will let me hunt.
5.My neighbor is just 50 yrds. away and I was wandering if I ask do I call or ask in person?That's kind of a dumb stupid question but what would yall do?
as you can see, lots of opinions, the best answers: it all depends!

1) Stand or blind? Yes!! Either one works, both have plus/minus. Is the land you are hunting on got good trees for a stand? All things being equal, a stand has more advantages, but are you comfortable in a tree? Can you get it hung? If you do go to a stand WEAR A FULL RESTRAINT SAFETY HARNESS!!

2) More a factor of how far away you can hit a 5 inch circle ALL THE TIME, with broadheads. The bow is more capable than you! (No offense). Most bow shots at whitetails, especially out of a stand, are inside 20 yards. I would recommend you start at 20 and get deadly accurate there.

3) I would suggest no on mechanicals, at 40 lbs you will not be shooting close to high speeds and will probably be a lighter arrow. Will a mechanical work? Sure. Will a fixed blade work? absolutely. I suggest a 3 blade cut on contract head, or something with bleeders like a Stinger 4-blade.

4) Where ever you see the deer! Hunting where there are no deer gets boring. The highway won't bother the deer, they deal with it every day.

5) In person is ALWAYS better. make yourself presentable, be polite and ask permission.