HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New bow hunter with bad nerves
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 11:31 AM
dstubb
Typical Buck

Default RE: New bow hunter with bad nerves

I know the feeling matt, i have been there and still am but not as bad. This is going to be my fourth season bow hunting, my first season i was a wreck anytime i saw a deer within 200 yards. I would be shaking so hard that i didn't even want the deer to come close because i feared that i would just wound it with a poor shot. One thing that i think helped me a little is actually shooting at a 3D deer target. I have the ability to zone out and pretend that this target is the actual thing and i can even get the shakes from it. Another thing that helped was going out and shooting squirrels with my bow, sounds crazy but it actually helped me out some. The best thing that ever happened to me was when i shot my first two deer. Each one was two seasons ago while walking through the woods. I jumped two deer on separate occasions and each one ran 20-40 yards and stopped to look back. I always had an arrow knocked when still hunting and when it happens that quickly you don't even have the time to get the shakes, you just point and release. Taking those deer took a lot of pressure off of me and helped to calm my ass down. Anyways, just thought that i would share some things that helped me out.