HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Backpack List....OK??
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Hurricanespg
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Backpack List....OK??

I would take parachute cord instead of string.
Since your carrying dehydrated foods itshould weighunder 6lbs before snacks.
Only carry enough water to get you from one fill station to the next, but remember that at higher elevations your water intake will increase.
How much does your sleeping bag and tent weigh? I like a bag to weigh less than 2.5lbs (15 degr or lower temp rating), and a two man tent to weigh no more than 4lbs. Personally I prefer just a tarp (1lb 9oz split between two people), but if you guys split the weight of a tent then you should be ok.
I would ditch the flashlight, and lantern too. Just stick with the headlamp, they work great.
No reason to carry an axe unless you just want to. You wont need it for cutting wood, and I can't think of a reason to use it on game animals, but to each their own.
You might try Sweet Drops instead of a water purifier. That should lighten your load by about 12-15oz.
Advil and Tylenol would be a nice addition to the first aid kit if you do not already have them. Put your first aid kit in a ziploc bag instead of a carry bag. Those carry bags are heavy.
A small whetstone will weigh around 1.5oz, you can pick them up real cheap and they work just as well as a large one.
Cut the tags off of everything....I know it does not sound like much, but it is just dead weight you are caring around for no other reason than to advertise for the manufacturer.
Oh yeah, you might carry some Seam Seal for the tent.
Good luck, hope you have fun.