HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Elk Trip....
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 01:46 PM
ShatoDavis

Default RE: First Elk Trip....

FYI, from my experience..... when you think your in good enough shape, your not. Your about halfway there. Double your physical activites. You can't account for the altitude. To get ready for 10 miles at altitude you need to do 20 or more miles at sea level +/-. Trust me you can never be in too good of shape!

Shipping will be expensive. I shipped a set of 6X antlers home a few years ago and it cost me $150 then, no telling what it is now but I'm sure its higher.

As far as the meat if you can check some as baggage on your flight that would be great. I figure that you should get approx 300 lbs of meat from an elk.You will want to have a local butcher shop package it for shipping. they will box it in "meat" boxes of about 60#. Shipping it home on dry ice you can get by with 2nd day delivery, but the cost will still be significant. approximately $6 per pound. Regular ups ground is about $1 per pound. I once shipped some meat home that was completely frozen and on dry ice with UPS ground and it showed up in 2 days. Meat was completing frozen and the driver bitched that I should have marked them as frozen. go figure.