HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Backpack List....OK??
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Jeff Ovington
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Backpack List....OK??

65lbs is alot of weight.
The main weight is probably due to sleeping bag and tent Tarp and stove and camp fuel axes GPS BINOS CAMERA Rangefinder.
Everybody needs to bring their own ammo and rifle and binos,but alot of this stuff can be divided if neccessary.
If you can purchase lighter sleeping weight bags and tent it may be a way to go.
Because 2 of us hunt together, both are glassing but one is either the shooter or the spotter.
We carry 1 Tent for every 2 hunters and share it.
We carry 1 spotting scope for every 2 hunters.
I'd ditch the lantern/flashlight and go with a headlamp only.
A light is a light....
head lamps are the bomb.
I'd take either one or the other of GPS or Topos not both.
As much as I love GPS, I don't have time to map everything out on them so I stay with Topos.
Again saves on space and weight.
As far as toiletries.. Someone mentioned disposable wipes.
I use them they are great. ALOE really works....
A camera is great I consider it a neccessity, but if one of your members has got one why carry another?
Wetake one camera for every 2 hunters.
Again with an axe, we save weight by carrying one between 2 hunters.
So instead of everybody carry one of the same thing we distribute the load equally between our packs, so we end up carrying no more than 35 lbs.
I would consider carrying an extra knife or even a back packing bone saw.
This allows for lighter trip up and enough space in your pack for packing an animal out as well as your gear in fewer trips.
Cause as you know, just packing your gear is is never ever
as organizedor as light as you had it when youpacked it in the comfort of your home.
You can add another 15 lbs onto that load after a week in the bush just from everything possibly being wet.
And an 80 lbs downhill ain't a fun trek especially if there ain't a monster rack strapped to the back of you.