HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting Alligators
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 06:45 PM
n.florida hunter
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting Alligators

I work within minutes of the suwannee river here in Florida wher there is a bunch of gator hunting going on. Some of the guys that work for me get into it more than any other type of hunting. If you can hunt them at night be very cautious with the amount of vibration that you make in the water. If you can shoot them with a rifle be cautious of the shot placement!!!!!1 THey have very small brains and you can wound one easily. Never try and shoot one looking straight at you. More times than not the bullet will travel parallel with the skull and deflect. Try and shoot them right behind the eye. There is a scale like flap covering the ear opening. It will be a definite kill shoot. If you are going to use a harpoon and need to buy or build one you can easily make one by using nylon string and 3/8" extensions. If you have access to a welding machine take and weld 1 of the extensions to your gig head then weld the other to the shaft or harpoon. Weld a washer or nut to the extension on the spear head so that you can tie of the nylon string. When you gig the gator the head will come off the harpoon and you have the tag line still attached to the spear. If the laws are the same as down here you can use a bang stick once you get him up to the boat or bank and thump him right behind the eyes. I hope this was some help good luck!