HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are bigger cartridges really better?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 07:31 AM
DM

Default RE: Are bigger cartridges really better?

I always get a kick out of the answers to these kinds of questions...

ItALWAYS comes around to bears, and then you can just hear the quiver in the voicesof the posters answers, then there knee's start shaking so bad my puter screen starts moving around on my desk when i read them...

A 'properly loaded" 30-06 (200 NP's) will break both shoulders of any bear alive, and a high shoulder shot will damage the spinal cord, anchoring the bear...

A 7 Rem. mag. loaded with 175 NP's is even bigger medicine, so don't tell me you need 30 cal. on up for big bears...

This 7 mag. combo will out penetrate a 458 Win mag. loaded with factory soft points.. It will also out penetrate a 375 H&H, 270 grainers...

How do i know these things??? Because i've used and seen them used, yes even on big bears...

I can't see where a "magnum" out shines any decent std. cartridge that's "properly loaded", at any decent range...

Through my many years of wondering all over Alaska hunting big game, i've found it's much MORE important to use the proper bullet construction, than worry about what case is behind it. (i'm talking 06 size on up here)

BTW, anyone who "thinks" a 340 wby. doesn't recoil more than a 300 Win. Mag., needs to try again, with BOTH cartridges chambered in the exact same style/weight rifle... Both with similar SD bullets...

DM