HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - passed a deer......?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 02:35 PM
SouthernStrut56
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: passed a deer......?

I'm guilty of shootin small deer sometimes. Last year I shot a little ol bity 6point. Wasn't much to the hunt. I was walking around my grandmother's lake property, looked up the road and he was staring at me. Iscoped him for about 15 seconds and he still just stared. Scoped him again, then got tired of him lookin at me so I dropped him. Whether or not I pass on a buckalso depends on what property I'm hunting. We have 3 tracts that I deer hunt each year. One is my main property that I try and do my best to manage and pass on smaller deer. It's 300 acres, not huge compared to some places, but I feel like I can make an impact on the herd by passing smaller bucks and taking out does. The other two placesI shoot whats legal because they are smaller tractsmaking themnear impossibleto manage, the genetics in those areas are nothing like the 300 tract, and people live nearby and hunt the woods behind their houses shootin anything that moves. This year I'm strictly bowhunting those other two tracts and shooting what's legal. It's just too much fun, and what's better than tender backstrap with a cold beer?! mmm mmm, think I'll cook a little up tonight!