HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Got the Muzzleloader sighted in!
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Got the Muzzleloader sighted in!

What sort of groups are you getting at 200 yards? And if I may ask with what load like what type and amount of powder with what bullet. My Remington shoots great at 100 yards and ok out to 150 but I don't think I would attempt a 200 yard shot with it without knowing exactly what sort of consistent groups I could get with it at that distance and exactly where the bullets would impact.

Then again my limit for accuracy at a given distance is 3 inches, meaning that if at a particular distance I can't hold a 3 inch 3 shot group I won't shoot at game beyond that distance. And I have noticed with muzzle loaders and shotguns the accuracy really starts to fall off fast as distance increases. You can't hold to the MOA rule like you can with some centerfires. Don't just assume that because you can shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards you will shoot 2 inch groups at 200 yards. It may be more like 8 inch groups or bigger. Not always, but you have to actually check your gun at that distance to see how it actually performs.

Not saying you didn't, just throwing that out there is all.

Paul