HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do Calls and Scents Really Work??
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 11:20 PM
nyorange
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do Calls and Scents Really Work??

I found that scents are only useful during bow season. They don't actually attract anything but they are useful for gving you a shot by having the deer stop at a predetermined spot where you can get off a shot. I usesome little jar of gooey stuff by james valley? or something like that(it reeks)and put it on a branch in a good shooting lane. The deer usually seem a little curious and will stop and smell the stuff giving me my shot. At least for me the stuff has never attracted deer to a locationthat they weren't all ready going to. Putting it up in an area thinking that it will bring them in from afar due to the smell has never worked for me nor anyone I personally know and seems like a waste of money. For rifle hunting I think its a complete waste as I don't need them to stop at the woods hunting distances I hunt.Maybe if I was hunting200 yds away and needed him to stop somewhere to get my shot it would be useful but everything I shoot at is less than a 100yds away, usually much closer, and they are in the kill zoneas soon as I see them and determine whetehr I want to take them.I would love to hear of anything that actually attracted them from afar but that just seems to be a marketing ploy.
Good luck with whatever you try. Take care.