HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The Ten Gods Of Muzzle Loading
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Semisane
Boone & Crockett

Default The Ten Gods Of Muzzle Loading

Being that I've pretty much given up going to the range until the weather cools a little, I find my mind wandering to various muzzle loading related subjects. Last night I remembered that a year ago when I was researching the Ten Laws Of Muzzleloading I came across an obscure reference to the gods of muzzleloading. So I began delving into various deep,dark and little known reference materials (in the back of my mind) looking for more information on these ancient mythical beings.

It seems there are ten gods of muzzleloading - four major ones and six minor ones. I've been able to identify most, but not all of them. Their names seem to be a mixture of early German,old English and archaic French. I may or may not have them spelled right. Here's what I have so far.

The four major gods are:

1. Chutengood -The happiest and kindest god. May he smile upon you.

2. Dribaldzit - The god of inattentive loading. He seems to visit every shooter sooner or later. Causes laughter by fellow shooters.

3. Mizzfyre - (The only female god.) A fickle god. She often shows up for reasons unknown. Causes profanity by shooter.

4. Stukdarod -An irritating being who seldom appears in damp or moist conditions. Frequents dry bores. May cause detachment of critical parts of a ramrod.

The minor gods I have been able to identify are:

5. Losdascru - This one likes to hang around shooters who disassemble locks, sights and triggers. Has been know to end shooting sessions.

6 & 7. The twins Titegroop & Loosgroop - Although twins, they are not identical and seem to have the habit of appearing in alternating sequence. One of them should be welcomed by shooters, but my references do not indicate which one.

8. Outabuks - Visits just about every shooter sooner or later. May cause a deficiency in the shooter's supply of bullets, powder, caps, etc.

9. ?

10. ?

As you can see, my research ended with identifying only eight of the ten. If any of you know the other two, please help me complete the list.

(New forum members who are not familiar with the Ten Laws Of Muzzleloading may want to check out this post: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2282396&mpage=1&key=ten%2claws&a mp;#2282396)