HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Greg's Long Bow Build-a-long
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Kanga
Giant Nontypical

Default Greg's Long Bow Build-a-long

I will start off by saying BC (Mark) do not read this thread as it is a laminated bow build-a-long

First off the riser I have posted these pics before so bear with me

Do a layout then glue up the riser laminations.

Once the epoxy has been dried in the heat box for 4 hours mark out the riser shape and rough cut with a bandsaw.

Then wait a few weeks for the rest of the laminations to come in

Now it's time to get serious well as serious as I am ever going to getand clean off the work bench.

Then I put some old news paper down to protect the bench from excess epoxy when I do the glue up.

Now seeing I ordered 2 sets of laminations it was time to work out what was what but luckily they had them seperated into different bundles and did mark each bundle.

So I unpacked the lams for Greg's bow and layed them out on the bench.

Now put some blue painters tape on the shiny side of both pieces of clear glass to protect them from the epoxy during glue up.

Then I measured the center of one of the glass pieces and put a line across it.

The 2 arrows are to tell me where I made the cut as I place the cut to the limb tips this section will be cut off later after the glue up and 4 hours in the heat box.

Here they are cut into 2.

Now comes the really tricky part getting the fade outs of the riser paper thin for this I use a spindle sander holding a block of wood at the back of the riser fade outs to protect them from breaking.

This is all I am going to do today as it is too hot in the shed I will do the glue up when I get home from work tomorrow.

I will say that at this stage we are aiming for a 66" 155lb @ 28" bow.

Now why Greg wants a bow this heavy has me beat, maybe the hogs are tougher in East Texas[8D]