HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards
Old 07-30-2008, 08:43 AM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did the tight angle, short shot test today at 2 yards

ORIGINAL: TFOX

The arrow closes the gap when up in a tree 15 feet or so because the arrow is not paralel with the line of sight.So when you are shooting a 2 yard shot from a tree,you are still shooting the arrow 15+ feet,giving the arrow time to close the paralax gap.

We as hunters tend to say shoot the distance from the tree and for all intensive hunting purposes,this is correct but in reality,it isn't completely correct,arch of the arrow and sight paralax must be compensated for if you really want to get that technical with it.
This is precisely why many times I've said that the "horizontal" distance thing is more or less worthless. At 14-15yds away, I know I'm going to hit high, whether from a treestand or on flat-ground, I KNOW that my arrow is going to be 2.5-3" above where my pin is on a target, and I compensate for that MOST of the time.

Jeff,
At 2yds, my ballistics chart shows me to be about 1.32" low, stretch that out over 15 feet down, and I think you have WHY that arrow is DEAD on. I've laid my 5 spot on the ground, and shot it from about 2yds, 5yds, 7yds, and 10yds, beyond that, it goes back up on it's side like it was designed to be, but at those distances, my margin of error is still good enough for a KILL 100% of the time!!! As I believe someone else said earlier, this is the HUNTING forum, not target archery. Get a copy of OT2, and plot the shot yourself, and see where it comes out. Technically, I should be shooting the shot for 50yds if I want to be to the .02" in the target, but between anything shot for ranges from 24-81 yds, the margin of error is only 3" at that distance!!!! (I go from 1.32 low to 1.68 high if shooting the shot with a pin set for 81yds, according to my set-up.

Like was said in one of the Primos videos while shooting an ELK at close range when asked "Which pin did you use????"....... His response......"ALL OF THEM!!!!!"

In all honesty, arguing over this is like "SPLITTING HAIRS."............. with arrows!!!!!