HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - THE WINNERS (Team 13)
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 07:34 AM
quiksilver
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 13-Official Team 13 Thread

Al - how many cameras are you running right now? If that corn is still standing late in season, after the mast is cleaned up - it might really work out in your favor.

On thisZR camera- I might have to return it and swap it for a Sony, b/c the night setting isn't infrared. Normally, that's no problem if you're shooting in the daylight, but when we're spotting at night time, the cameras with the IR night setting REALLY pick up the dim light at the extended ranges. The Canon just doesn't seem to do as well with the spotlight. The deer have to be really close (inside 150) - and most of our deer sightings (especially the bucks) tend to be back deep on the woodlines.

I got some footage last night - but I need a firewire to get it to my pc. Hopefully, I can make that happen tonight.

I started off at a hog hunting area, and videoed my buddy whiffing a groundhog twice. I got one later, but not on film. We saw about 6 deer there, 1 decent buck. I got him on tape for about 2 seconds.

Then, I slipped over to one of my bowhunting areas to film at dark - saw 10 deer, 5 bucks. The light was low, and he was a solid 200-300 yards outso the video is low quality, but I did see a really nice 4x4 (maybe 18"). One other basket racker, and a few scrubs.

This farm is probably 200 acres of fields, and 80% of it is field corn, 20% soybean. To my surprise, the deer seem to have totally abandoned the beans already, and are POUNDING the corn. Every deer I saw was entering/exiting the corn fields. They wouldn't give the beans so much as a second look.

I'm not sure if it's a dietary deficiency thing or what, but I remember the same thing happening last year - right around the middle of July, they abandoned the beans and started hammering the corn, only to return to the beanfields later in August. Maybe it has something to do with the corn being soft.

After glassing, we dropped off the rifles and made a spotting run, and saw probably 50 more deer, maybe 15 buck - nothing bigger than a weak 2.5. I did get some decent footage of them.

I'm getting the fever.