HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best 7mm .08 for deer>>>
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 11:19 AM
SouthernStrut56
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best 7mm .08 for deer>>>

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I don't get what your asking? Do you want to know what our brand preferences are for a rifle, or what loads we would suggest? Normally we have someone want a particular rifle and ask what caliber would be good, not the other way around.

How big is your wife, what sort of looks do you like, what is your budget, where will it be used? You can get rifles from $300 - $3,000 depending on what you want. They will all kill deer for the most part. Just depends on what you like and how much you can afford or are willing to spend.

I'm a budget minded person so I am pretty fond of Savage rifles. And if you want to save even more look at the Stevens line. Howa's are pretty nice for the money as well. And it just goes up from there.

Just don't get one of those cheap plastic Remingtons, if your going to go cheap stick with Steven or a Mossberg.

And don't overlook the H&R/NEF Handi single shot rifles either. You can pick them up for under $300 in most cases.

Paul
I take offense to that Paul! [:-] I've been shooting a synthetic stock Remington Model 7, 7mm-08 since I was 15. Still have it, still is in as great shape as when I got it, never had a single problem with it, and it still slays the hell outta deer. It's short, lightweight, and very versatile. 7mm-08's are one of the flattest shooting guns you can buy, and have great knockdown power. I have always used ballistic tip 140 gr Winchesters. Last year I couldn't find any Winchesters so I bought Hornadys and they shot great as well. 140 gr is probably the best choice. I love my gun!