HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Reloader 17...
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 07:11 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Reloader 17...

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

Is the burn rate between 15 and 19?

If so I could like it for a .243 AI, and 19 in my 30-06 is a touch compressed. 17 there, might work a little better too.
Not sure, its suppose to be about the same as H4831 though.
IF it is about the same quickness as H4831, it would be about the same as RE 22, so it would be out of sequence in the Alliant RE number series.....

Since RE 19 is close to IMR 4350, I would expect an Alliant powder numbered RE 17 to be closer to IMR 4320 or H380. However, according to the information I have been able to find so far, it is closer to being between IMR 4350 and IMR 4831. This new powder is really something new, apparently, because it has a burn-controlling chemical that is throught the grains, not just a surface coating. The stuff is made in Switzerland, and apparently the grains are so compact you can get a lot more of it into a cartridge and still seat a bullet, as compared to some of the other, large-grain, slow powders.

Sounds like it might work well in rounds like the 6mm Rem & 7X57mm, as well as the short-action magnums! Guess I'll have to try some in my 6.5X54mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer as well as the 7X57mm.