HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thompsen Center
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 10:59 PM
bigbulls
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Thompsen Center

All hunting rifles are single shots. Unless you know of one that shoots more than one shot at a time.
Last time I checked a bolt action rifle was a repeater. There are 3 or 4 more cartridges ready IN THE GUN to be loaded quickly should a second shot be needed.

I don't want to hear make that first shot count and you won't need another.

When you have an elk standing there 200 or 300 yards away and you have an oportunity for a second shot you take it. Your average hunter could get off at least two shots and probably a third with a bolt gun before a TC shooter could get the gun broke open, pull out the shell with his hand with gloves on(cause they don't have ejectors, only extractors), pull another cartridge off his belt, sling, or butt stock shell holder, load it, close the gun, and finally get back on target and make another shot.

With a bolt gun you can go through the entire reloading process and take another shot with out ever taking thecrosshairsoff the animal.

If in fact you paid $800 for a TC you got took and didn't shop much. An Encore carbine frame and stock can be had for about $350 and barrels go for $250 plus or minus. Who got the other $200 ?
A stainless pro huter with a camo stock is going to cost you over $800 is the gun shop likes to have money topay their bills. I didn't say they all cost $800 but some of the do and then some.

T/C and their custom shop do not sell barrels in many cartidges such as Weatherby and WSMs but you can have those barrels built by a custom shop such as Bullberry. But that conversation could also be argued in the hundreds of "Why I need a magnum catridge" threads on this board.
And when a gunsmith does this they are bordering on possibly killing someone.An Encore barrel is right at an inch in diameter at the chamber and thereisn't enough steelsurroundingthose fat cartridgesto safely hold 64,000 psi. In fact, Bullberry does notoffer these chamberings in their encore barrels.

I knowTC chambers them for cartridges like 416 Rigby / Remingtonbut these are loaded to much lower chamber pressures than the new WSM and such.

If you took all the failed "cast" receiver TC Encore frames you couldn't make one good boat anchor out of them. They are not for everyone but with 30 some years of shooting TC products and owning guns from nearly every manufacturer I can say for my money they work very well.
If you have taken a close look at some of the offerings that competitive gun makers have out ...ie Remington SPS (doesn't get any cheesier than that), Savage/ Stevens (plastic stock, unfinished with sharp edges and rough machine work) Ruger77 (investment 'cast' reciever, boat paddle stock and cheap grey finished metal) TC starts looking better and better.
I didn't say that cast receivers were bad as many gun makers cast their receivers. But it is an inexpensive way to build a rifle and an encore receiver has very little additional machining done to it whichshould alsokeepthecost down. There is a lot more machine work that must go into making a bolt action receiver than one like the encore. Guns likethe Ruger #1, O/U shotguns, etc... that's a different story. There is extensive machining that must be done to these firearms receivers and barrels.

Iwill give it to them in that they do shoulder well and feel vry natural in the hand but they aren't worth what they charge for them. Bottom line is that an Encore should be about a $500 rifle tops and a plain jane model should go for under $400. They sholdn't cost much more than a H&R / NEF. In fact you could purchase a NEF, Nikon buckmasters 3-9X40, rings and bases, and a box or two of ammo for less than an Encore by itself and I would put money down that the NEF will be at least as accurate as the encore.