HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thompsen Center
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 PM
G2 Shooter

Default RE: Thompsen Center

ORIGINAL: CommonSense

The action still breaks open, and do tell me, how many Ultra Mag, and Weatherby mag chambered T/C's have you seen? could it be that the action is too weak to support such cartridges? heck, my cheap Ruger or Remington can handle those cartridges!
T/C and their custom shop do not sell barrels in many cartidges such as Weatherby and WSMs but you can have those barrels built by a custom shop such as Bullberry or Match Grade Machine http://www.matchgrademachine.com/chamberings_public.php But that conversation could also be argued in the hundreds of "Why I need a magnum catridge" threads on this board.

I love my Encore. It has THE most accurate muzzleloader barrel I have ever owned. It is shorter than any of my other bolt action rifles even with a 26-28" barrel on it. The fact that I can have a different caliber barrel from $150-$300 is very attractive to me. Do some small modifications to it and it will lock up tighter than a drum. Those may total $50 at most. I can go on a trip and take a complete rifle and 2-3 other barrels and be totally covered for anything I want to hunt. That's a lot easier than hauling 4 bolt action rifles around. T/C's customer service is one of the best I have ever had to use.

I don't shun other styles of rifles. In fact I own several bolt and lever action rifles. I think the Encore/Contender is a versatile design with many advantages. It's obvious other manufacturers feel the same way since several imitations have been introduced in the past few years.

I totally agree that the Pro Hunter is way overpriced. I could care less about some engraving and a swing hammer. My Encore was listed at Bass Pro for $549 but I have their credit card so I think I only paid $450.