HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are bigger cartridges really better?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 06:56 AM
thndrchiken
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are bigger cartridges really better?

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i'm not an expert on ballistics but i believe a .30-06 will break both front shoulders of any north american game animal when shot square in the shoulder. maybe not at 400 yards but most hunters don't shoot that far anyway. if hunting big bears over bait, your shot is going to be within 40 yards anyway not 400 yards. i'm not trying to argue, just post some of my observations.

i use to be a "bigger is better" kinda hunter, that is why i own a Wby .300 Mag. i bought it several years ago and hunted faithfully with it. i'll never sell any of my guns that's why i still have it. i haven't hunted with it since i realized i don't need it for what i hunt. i bought a .25-06 last year to hunt with and believe that was the best hunting decision i ever made.
This is why when I started building my battery, the only magnum that I have is a 270 WSM. For Deer sized game I can go to the 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 270 WSM, 30-06 for larger game 30-06 and 35 Whelen. If I ever had the opportunity to go to Africa I can address that need then Most likely with a 375 H&H or Ruger. Sure dead is dead and the animal won't know the difference but you don't want to go undergunned either. There are so many choices out there these days and with new technology and bullet construction making smaller lighter projectiles perform to higher levels. I say to each their own. I'll stick with the 06 based cases and not need to look back.