HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what bullet do u use
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 AM
gt2003
Fork Horn

Default RE: what bullet do u use

Ok, let me tell you about the 2 bullets.

The one on the left was shot into a deer at about 30 yards. It traveled all the way through the deer and was recovered just under the skin on the far side. The dimensions of the mushroom are 5/8 inch x 3/4 inch as measured across the mushroom. If you measure the height of the bullet after it mushroomed, it is 3/8 inch tall. Originally, the bullet was 3/4 inch tall not including the polymer tip. So, basically the bullet is now 1/2 the height it was originally and it still has a good bit of its base left. And, this was only at 30 yards. I would expect less of a mushroom if this bullet was shot at 75-100 yards.

Now, bullet 2 is a whole different story. I was facing north and this buck and doe snuck in directly underneath me from the south/southwest. This was the 1st deer I had ever shot with this bullet and was trying to "get the monkey off my back" as far as bad ML luck/performance. So, I shot him, probably at 20 feet. The amazing this is, although the mushroom is huge, 1 inch, the bullet held together and didn't fragment. It too was recovered under the skin opposite of where it entered. Impressive performance in my opinion.

Just thought some clarification might help. Thanks, Greg